The other method I was interested in is, Gagne's Theory of Instruction. I appreciated his 9 events of instruction. The events, as he described them, would apply easily to the majority of classroom instruction. The first concept that you would need to help students understand is "what is an ounce". You could gain their attention by displaying some favorite foods and toys on the table. You could put 10 ounces of each. This would give them a visual of an ounce. From here you can teach them how to calculate price per ounce by labeling each item with a different price per prince number. They would then calculate the price of each display.
The last of the learning theories that I would utilize would be the Cognitive Theory. It would be a great task to assign the students to go to a grocery store and compare price per ounce or pound of various products. This would help move the concepts they learned in class to their long term memory.
The Human Performance Improvement discussed in chapter 14, would be a great addition to any work place, school or home. We should all be striving to help those we interact with on a regular basis to be constantly improving. As a teacher I could use the concepts of positive reinforcement and encouragement to drive the student to accomplish their best. This would also be useful in the home environment. My children "perform" at a greater level when expectations are clear and positive motivators are set into place.
The podcast I chose to subscribe to is TEDTALKS EDUCATION. I really enjoy the innovative ideas that are presented through this podcast. The thoughts and ideas of the future of education and schools is a great motivator and inspiration as an educator.
Bookmarking would be a great way to introduce students to the latest and greatest information that is available. The best way I see to utilize this would be to have the teacher post and if students find something relatable and interesting, they would receive approval from the teacher and it could be added. This would be a great resource for parents to see what their child is currently learning and to learn and discuss right along with them.
No comments:
Post a Comment